Holy Pilgrimage – Karnataka State –( Sirsangi Kalika temple, Someshvara temple, Sri Ranganathaswamy temple and Sri Ranganatha swmay temple, Srirangapatna ) -23

Holy Pilgrimage – Temples in Karnataka State

Sirsangi Kalika Temple, Sirsangi, Karnataka

The Shri Kalika Devi Temple (Kannada: ಶ್ರೀ ಕಲಿಕಾ ದೇವಿ ದೇವಸ್ಥಾನ Shri Kalika Devi Devasthan) is a Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Kali in a valley in the Belgaum district in Karnataka, approximately 20 kilometres (12 mi) from Saundatti. The place has temples dedicated to Kalmeshwara and Bhairaveshwara or Kalamma. The Palanquin Festival of Kalamma is held at the Bannimantapa during the Ugadi Festival for five days when about 15,000 people assemble. This temple is known for its historical and mythological importance. Cultural and religious programs are celebrated on the half-moon day known as Amavasya. One of the major festivals celebrated here is Ugadi


The place name is mentioned as Rishishringapura, Pirishingi, or Hirishingi in two records from the same place dated 1148 of Jagadekamalla and another dated 1186 of Someshwara IV.[citation needed] It was a noted commercial center.
As per the studies conducted by the department of archaeology, the temple of Shri Kalika Devi in Sirsangi might have been constructed during the first century. Sirsangi is a place which is prominent in Karnataka and this is due to the monuments and temples in and around this small village. Earlier this place was known as Pirising but later, during the Medieval era, the name was changed as Hirisingi.


The temple of Shri Kalika Devi in Sirsangi is of mythological significance as its name is mentioned in many Hindu mythologies.
One such myth mentions that a saint by the name of Vrusya Sanga was involved in penance in Vrusya Sanga Tapovan, which is currently the place where the temple of Shri Kalika Devi is. However, demons like Narundasur (Naragunda), Bettasura (Betasur) and Nalundasur (Navalagund) disturbed his meditation. Then the goddesses Chikkumbasura (Chikkumbi) and Hirekumbasura (Hirekumbi) killed these demons heeding the pleas of the ascetic Vrusya Sanga. The goddesses later settled down here and hence the temple of Shri Kalika Devi was erected in Sirsangi.


There are two small hillocks at the outskirts of the village, one having a cave locally called Maunappanagavi and the hillock is called Kallupuragudda. Inside the cave is a hill which can accommodate about 200 people; after this is a six-meter-long passage leading to a small pit having water. Another hillock near Kalika temple has a cave locally called Siddeshwaragavi, approachable by climbing nearly 200 steps. Inside the cave is a Shivalinga.


Depending upon devotees pledges, they put jaggery, wheat, coconuts, rice, edible oil, etc. equivalent to their weight in Tulaa Bhara Seva.

Temple activities

Many devotees, to complete their vows and pledges on their behalf or on behalf of their family members & also to follow traditional vows...



Ugadi is one of the major festivals celebrated by Vishwakarmas of this region. The Vishwakarma Samaj Vikas Samsthe organizes religious and cultural programmes on the Amavasya (Half-moon Day). Devotees offer wheat grown in their fields to the goddess. The famous "Butti" ritual is performed during the early hours of the Padyami.

Halegodi Amavasya

Halegodi Amavasya is celebrated next to Ugadi Amavasya.

Vishwakarma Mahotsava

This is grandly celebrated on Chatti Amavasya every year.

Vishwakarma caste

The Vishwakarma caste is used in India for the class of engineers, architects, sculptors, temple builders, and artists. Generally the term Vishwakarma caste is used for five classes of people: the goldsmiths, blacksmiths, coppersmiths, carpenters and sculptors. In India there are several subdivisions of the Vishwakarma caste in different regions.
The contribution of the Vishwakarmis to Hindu art and architecture is immense. The University of Nalanda has been an architectural marvel for ages together as also the iron pillars of Delhi. At the same time Hindu architecture as well as Buddhist architecture represents great contributions of the Vishwakarmis.
Tradition says that the Vishwakarmi castes are subdivided according to the names of their sons. The sons of Lord Vishwakarma were Manu, Maya, Thwastha, Silpi and Vishvajnya. People belonging to the Manu cast are blacksmiths; those of the Manu group are carpenters. The metal craftsmen are known as Thwastha and those who are goldsmiths are called by the name Vishyajnya.
The Vishwakarmi castes have been subdivided into five gotras each corresponding to the name of a Rishi which has been mentioned in the Yajur Veda. The five gotras of the Vishwakarmi are Sanagasya Manu, Sanatanasya Maya, Abhuvanasya Tvashta, Pratanansya SiIpi and Suparnasya Vishvajna. The five gotras of the Vishwakarmis are again subdivided into 25 sub-clans.



The Kalika Devi temple at Sirsangi is 58 km from Dharwad and is on the Dharwad–Bijapur route. It is around 2 km from the bus stand at Sirsangi.


Main articles: Belgaum Airport and Hubli Airport
The nearest airport is Belgaum which is around 100 km and Hubli around 72 km from Shri Kalika Devi Temple at Sirsangi.


The nearest railway station is located at Hubli. There are daily trains which connect Hubli to other spots in Karnataka


Someshwara Temple, Kolar, Karnataka

The Someshwara temple (also spelt Someshvara or Somesvara), situated in Kolar town of Karnataka state, India, is an ornate 14th century Vijayanagara era Dravidian style construction. Someshwara, another name for the Hindu god Shiva is the presiding deity in the temple.   The temple is protected by the Archaeological Survey of India as a monument of national importance.

Temple Plan

According to art historian George Michell, the general plan of the temple resembles that of the Someshvara temple in Bangalore, except, this temple is more rich in finish and detail.  The temple is noted for its tall superstructure (gopuram) over the main entrance (mahadwara). The superstructure is built of brick and stucco. Though both temples have a large open pillared mukhamantapa (hall) leading to the sanctum (garbhagriha), in Kolar the open mantapa has a central hall surrounded by a raised floor. Several ornate pillars on the raised floor support the ceiling of the mantapa. The main shrine has a dravida (south Indian) style tower (sikhara), a vestibule (sukanasi) that connects the sanctum to a navaranga (closed hall) which leads to the large pillared mukhamandapa. The temple is enclosed by a cloistered wall (prakara).  At the frontal extension of the hall are four full length pillars depicting riders on Yalis ("mythical beasts"). An ornate Kalyana mantapa ("marriage hall") built of granite, at the south-west corner of the complex, has pillars with decorative sculptures in relief.[3] Michell dates the temple to about the 17th century, but the Archaeological Survey of India dates the temple to the early Vijayanagara Empire rule of the 14th century. The base of the temple outer wall (adhishthana) comprises of decorative moldings, with friezes of elephants, dwarfs and lions embellishing the upper moldings . The outer wall of the temple has miniature decorative pilasters (kumbha) with turrets (aedicule).


How to reach

It is located at a distance of about 72 kilometres (45 mi) from Bengaluru and 32 kilometres (20 mi) from Kolar Gold Fields. The city is located on the southern maidan (plains) region of Karnataka. The Ammerallikere, a tank, forms its eastern boundary. To the north is the Kodikannur tank, the main source of water supply to the city. The nearest railway junction is Bangarpet at a distance of about 15 km. It is situated on the Bengaluru to Chennai National Highway-4.

Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, Shivanasamudra, Karnataka

The Sri Ranganthaswamy temple in Shivanasamudra, in the Indian state of Karnataka, is a temple dedicated to the Hindu God Ranganatha, a manifestation of Vishnu. The temple is one of a set of three major temples that are built on three different islands on the Kaveri and are dedicated to lord Ranganatha, the others being those at Srirangapatna and Srirangam

 Shivanasamudra (Kannada: ಶಿವನಸಮುದ್ರ) is a small town in the Mandya District of the state of Karnataka, India. It is situated on the banks of the river Kaveri, which forms here the boundary to the Chamarajanagar District, and is the location of one of the first Hydro-electric Power stations in Asia, which was set up in the year 1902.


The Shivanasamudra Falls is on the Kaveri River after the river has wound its way through the rocks and ravines of the Deccan Plateau and drops off to form waterfalls.  The island town of Shivanasamudra divides the river into twin waterfalls. This creates the fourth largest island in the rivers course. A group of ancient temples are located here and there likely was a village.
This is a segmented waterfall. Segmented waterfalls occur where the water flow is broken into two or more channels before dropping over a cliff, resulting in multiple side by side waterfalls. It has an average width of 305 meters, a height of 98 m, and an average volume of 934 cubic meters / sec. The maximum recorded volume is 18,887 cubic meters / sec. It is a perennial waterfall. The time of best flow are the monsoon season of July to October.
A common misconception about these waterfalls are that the left segment is called Gaganachukki and the right segment is called Bharachukki. In reality the Bharachukki falls are a few kilometers to the south-west of the Gaganachukki falls  . This is due to the Kaveri river itself splitting a few kilometers to the south into western and eastern branches  . The western branch results in the twin waterfalls of Gaganachukki, whereas the eastern branch results in the Bharachukki falls. The Gaganachukki waterfalls are best viewed from the Shivanasamudra watch tower  . Most of the pictures showing the twin waterfalls are taken from that location. There is another approach to the Gaganachukki falls .   . Despite warnings being posted, people climb down the rocks and attempt to view the waterfalls from behind/top, resulting in many fatal accidents. It is 139 km from the city of Bangalore.

Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, Srirangapatna, Karnataka

The Sri Ranganthaswamy temple in Srirangapatna, in the Indian state of Karnataka, is a temple dedicated to the Hindu God Ranganatha, a manifestation of Vishnu and is one of the Pancharanga Kshetrams. The town of Srirangapatna, which derives its name from the temple, is located on an island in the river Kaveri. The temple is one of a set of three major temples that are built on three different islands on the Kaveri and are dedicated to lord Ranganatha.

The Temple

The temples is one of the most important Vaishnavite shrines in South India. It is built by the Gangas in 9th century, later improved by the Hoysala and Vijayanagar kings  The temple is a tribute to Lord Ranganatha (Vishnu) has been dedicated at three pilgrimages:
  • Adi Ranga at Srirangapattana
  • Madhya Ranga at Shivanasamudra
  • Antya Ranga at Srirangam

Pancha Ranga Kshetram

Pancharanga Kshetrams literally means 5 Ranganatha temples (pancha: five; Kshetrams: holy places). These 5 temples are situated on the banks of Kaveri in south India. The following constitute Pancharanga Kshetrams:   
Sri Ranganatha Swamy Temple
Indalur, Mayiladuthurai

Srirangapatna was the historic capital of Tippu Sultan known for his struggle against British rule. Several monuments relating to his rule are sprinkled across the island. Both Tippu Sultan and his father Hyder Ali are believed to have made endowments to the Ranganathaswamy temple.

1. SRIRANGANATHA SWAMY TEMPLE: Ranganatha Swamy Temple is one of the largest temples in the state, and is of great local importance. An inscription dated 894 AD revels that a Ganga Chieftain by name Thirumalaiah was the founder of the temple of Sri Ranganatha.Later, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara, Mysore Wodeyars, Haider Ali enlarged it. The presiding deity is the colossal image of Ranganatha reclining on Adishesha. The inner most part of the temple was constructed by the Hoysalas of which several granite pillars at Sukanasi are impressively designed shallow domes. The Navaranga, which has round bell, shaped pillars, and Mahadwara (Gopura) was built in the style of Vijayanagara. Two pillars having depicting Vishnu in 24 forms with their names arranged is note worthy.
Visiting Hours: 08.00 AM to 01.00 PM and 04.00 PM to08.00 PM
Phone: 08236-252273 or Main Priest : Vijay sarathi:9448877648
2. SRI NARASIMHA SWAMY TEMPLE: The temple was built by the king Kanteerava  Narasaraka Wodeyar in17th century.  It is second biggest temple in Srirangapatna. The statue of the Ranadeera Kanteerava about 3.5 feet high standing can be seen.
Visiting Hours:7.30AM to 12.30 AM and 5.00 PM to 7.30PM
3. SRI GANGADARESWARA SWAMY TEMPLE: The temple was built during the period of Vijayanagar in 16th century. The main deity in the temple is called Sri Gangadara. In one of the cells is now kept a big copper image of Bogadakshinamurthy, which is said to be of solid copper and bears on inscription of about 1750AD stating that it was a gift of Dalvoy Karachuri Najaraja.
Visiting Hours: 8.00 AM to 10.30AM and 5.00PM to8.00PM
4. SRI NIMISHSAMBHA TEMPLE: This beautiful temple dedicated to Sri Nimishamba, built on the bank of river Cauvery during the days of Mysore Wodeyars in the early 19th century.  The main attraction of the temple is sacred’Srichakra’.
Visiting Hours: 8.00AM to 5.00PM

5. COLBAILEY’S DYBGEON: This dungeon was built in 18th century for war prisoners. After the second battle of Mysore Tippu Sultan who captured many British officers including Col-Bailey who died in the prison.
Visiting Hours: 9.00AM to 5.00PM
6. THE GIBIGATE: It is a small gate in the enclosure which leads from the temple area to the river in the east of Delhi gate. Outside the gate there is a small ruined shrine dedicated to Hanuman.
7. THE ELEPHANT GATE: In south of Srirangapatna the elephant gate built by Tipu Sultan in 1791 AD to enter the city on the back of elephant.
8.THE DELHI GATE: The gate is protected by two round bastions on both sides of  the gate.  It was used to connect the bridge and fort area.
9. SITE OF TIPPU’S DEATH: In the fourth battle of Mysore, Tippu Sulthan who last his breath in this place.  While fighting with the British in 1799, 4th May. The stone tablet erected standing. “Tippu Sultan body was found here”.

10. WATER GATE: This gate was originally built during the days of Dalavoi Devarajaiah in 1720 AD the storming British troops attacked Tippu near this gate.
11. INMAN’S DUNGEON: The structure was discovered by Inman’s an engineer in 1895 AD which was named after him.  It is said that the Maratha Chief Dhandia Wagh was one of the important person imprisoned here.
12. MASJID-E-ALA: Situated near the Bangalore gate is Masjid-E-Ala standing on a high basement with an open court in the front and a covered verandah with spacious prayer hall with miharab on the west.  It was constructed by Tippu Sultan in 1787 AD.  It is grand structure with two lofty minarets for their majesty and grace.
13.MAGAZAINE HOUSE: With in the fort there are Eleven magazine house were they store the gun powder during the days of Tippu Sultan.
14.DARIA DAULATH BAGH: Or Summer Palace of Tippu Sultan was built in 1784 and stands as a testimony to Tippu’s affection for greenery and open space. The structure is in Indo-Islamic style constructed mostly of teak wood. The building is rectangular in plan and stands on a raised platform. Open corridor run along its four sides with pillars at the edge of the plinth. The most striking feature of this building is that every inch of the space in the walls, pillars, canopies and arches is painted colorfully and artistically. Western outer walls of the palace confined to battle scenes while the eastern outer walls have paintings of portraits. A small museum is housed in the palace and the exhibits belong to Tippu’s period. Record speaks: - Col. Aurthar Wellesly who stayed here from 1799 to 1805. This building was used by Tippu for retreat from business.  Krishna Raja Wodeyar IV restored this building in 1926.
Opening Hours: 9.30 AM to 5.00 PM
Entrance Fee: Rs.5/- per head Foreigners $2. Phone: 252023
15. GUMBAZ: At the eastern end of the island towards the South is Gumbaz or Mausoleum.  It was built by Tippu Sultan for his parents between 1782-84AD. Later Tippu was buried here on 5th May 1799. It is an impressive square tomb chamber surrounded by brick built dome.  Open corridors run along its four sides with polished black stone pillars.  The carved stone windows and doorways with ivory inlaid doors are of fine workmanship.  In  the verandahs and on the platform are housed the Tombs of Haider’s family members. There is also a mosque in the complex built in Mughal style.
Visiting Hours: 8.00AM to 8.00Pm Phone: 252007
16.SANGAM: A few minutes walk from the Gumbaz to the east is the confluence of the two branches of river Cauvery which is a sacred spot for Hindus. The natural scenery here about is grand and good picnic spot.
17. ABBE DUBEIS CHURCH: This magnificent Church (R.C.) built by a monk known as Abbe Dubeis in the beginning of 19th century.  He lived in this church for many years.
18. EUROPEAN CEMETERY (Garrison Cemetery): Numerous tombs belonging to British people 18 to 19 century is behind fort View Resorts stands as best example of British structure and unique in its kind.
19. THE BRITISH MONUMENTS (Obelisk):  This stands as a remembrance of the brave soldiers in British army participated in 4th Mysore war 1799. The scene of river cauvery dividing into two to form Srirangapatna as island is heart provoking.  The sunset at this spot is ever remembered able.



Although situated a mere 19 km from Mysore city, Srirangapattana lies in the neighbouring district of Mandya. The entire town is enclosed by the river Kaveri to form a river island, northern half of which is shown in the image to the right. While the main river flows on the eastern side of the island, the Paschima Vaahini segment of the same river flows to its west. The town is easily accessible by train from Bangalore and Mysore and is also well-connected by road, lying as it does just off the Bangalore-Mysore highway. The highway passes through this town and special care was taken to minimize any impact on the monuments here.


Jodu Kalasa Gudi, Sudi, Karnataka

Sudi (Kannada: ಸೂಡಿ), is a panchayat town in the Gadag District of Karnataka, India. It is about 30 km from Badami, 12 km from Gajendragad and 3 km from Itagi Bhimambika temple. In the past it was a important town of the Kalyani Chalukyas during 1000 AD. It is famous for rare stone carved monuments like Twin towered temple, Mallikarjuna temple and nagakunda (large well built of stone and carvings), and few other structural temples. For long time these amazing structures were abandoned, but recently they caught the eye of the Indian Archaeological Department (ASI - Archaeological Survey of India).



Sudi belongs to the core area of Western Chalukya architectural activity in modern Karnataka (Perticularly North Karnataka).
Padevala Taila (son of Nagadeva), continued to serve under Satyasraya (succeeded his father Taila in 997 AD) and his mother Attiyabbe made a grant in 1005 A.D. Satyasraya had two daughters. Vradhamabbarasi and Akkadevi and one son Kundin (Kundiraja). Akkadevi was a good administrator  and was governing some division during the time of Satyasraya and his successors. Kundiraja was placed in charge of divisions like Banavasi 12,000 and Santalige 1,000.
Akkadevi and Kundin, continued to govern ( dating October 8, 1013 AD) some provinces of the Chalukya Empire during the reign of Vikramaditya.
Sudi was the capital of the Kalyani Chalukyas in 1100 AD  Kalyani Chalukyas king's daughter Akkadevi ruled the place. There are also historical records indicating that coins were manufactured (mint)  in this town during that time.


During Western Chalukyas (973 – 1189 south), The Alupas, a feudatory, minted coins with the Kannada and Nagari legend Sri Pandya Dhanamjaya. Lakkundi and Sudi in Gadag district were the main mints[5] (Tankhashaley) . Their heaviest gold coin was Gadyanaka(weighting 96 grains), Dramma (weighted 65 grains), Kalanju (48 grains), Kasu (15 grains), Manjadi (2.5 grains), Akkam (1.25 grains) and Pana (9.6 grain)

Twin Towered Shiva Temple,

Twin Towered, Two Vimana, Jodakalasa Temple
Later Chalukya monument, Before 1059-60, by Nageshwara by General Nagadeva administering Sudi.

Mallikarjuna Temple

Mallikarjuna temple   at Sudi is a later Chalukya (Kalyani Chalukyas) monument, 1054, Founded under princess Akkadevi Governor of Sudi

Naga Kunda (Well)

Nagakunda literally means King cobra tank at Sudi is a beautifully carved (Inner wall) temple tank. This is most beautiful temple tank in the North Karnataka.
This is totally neglected by the people, ASI and Govt. of Karnataka.
There is need of immediate conservation work to protect this monument.

Other monuments at Sudi

  • Large Ganapati Statue
  • Ishwara Linga in a stone made shelter
  • Large Shiva linga
  • Hude (Tower)

At Sudi you can notice so many other monuments like Large beautiful Ganapati Statue and Nandi statue in side mantapa, Large shiva linga etc.


Sudi is located at 15.73°N 75.865°EIt has an average elevation of 586 metres (1922 feet). It is located adjacent to a 2 streams called Hirehalla and Doddahalla and has total area of the town is 5.3 square kilometres.
It is located 120 kilometres from Karnataka, 42 kilometres from Gadag and 450 kilometres from Bangalore, the state capital



Om Tat Sat

(My humble  salutations to the great devotees ,  wikisources  and Pilgrimage tourist guide for the collection )


Post a Comment