Holy Pilgrimage – Uttara Pradesh State
List of people from Uttar Pradesh
This is a list of famous and notable people from Uttar Pradesh, a state in India. The criteria of this list includes those persons who were born in the state of Uttar Pradesh and that part of the former United Provinces that now are part of the modern state of Uttar Pradesh. Though their fame could be brief, what matters is that they were well known during the peak of their popularity.
Deities and avatars
- Rama (Birthplace:Ayodhya), is a legendary or historical king of ancient India. In Hinduism, he is considered to be the seventh Avatar of Vishnu.
- Krishna (Birth Place:Mathura), is a deity worshipped across many traditions of Hinduism.
- Neminath (Birth Place:Mathura), was 22nd Teerthanks of Jainism.
- Lakshmana (Birthplace:Ayodhya), was the brother and close companion of Rama, and himself a hero in the epic 'Ramayana'
- Parashuram (Birth Place Ghazipur), was an avatar of Vishnu.
- Shreyansnath (Birth Place Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh), was 11th Teerthankar of Jainism.
- Shantinath (Birth Place Hastinapur, Uttar Pradesh), was 16th Teerthankar of Jainism.
- Kunthunath (Birth Place Hastinapur, Uttar Pradesh), was 17th Teerthankar of Jainism.
- Aranath (Birth Place Hastinapur, Uttar Pradesh), was 18th Teerthankar of Jainism.
Authors of the great epics
- Valmiki, wrote Ramayan
- Vyasa (Devanāgarī: व्यास) is a central and much revered figure in the majority of Hindu traditions who authored Mahabharata
- Tulsidasa, Awadhi poet and philosopher, wrote Rāmacaritamānasa ("The Lake of the Deeds of Rama"), an epic devoted to Lord Rama.
- Bhrigu Birth PlaceBallia
Yogis, Sufi poets and mystics
- Amir Khusro, Sufi mystic, one of the iconic figures in the cultural history of the Indian subcontinent.
- Bharat Bhushan (yogi), the only 'Padmashri' recipient in Yoga, Founder President of Mokshayatan International Yogashram, Saharanpur
- Ghazi Saiyyad Salar Masud, Gazi Miya of Baharaich.
- Gopi Krishna, a yogi, mystic, teacher, social reformer, and writer.
- Kabir, poet and SaintVaranasi
- Nizamuddin Auliya, Sufi saint born in Badayun
- Paramhansa Yogananda, Mystic who introduced Yoga in the West, Gorakhpur
- Salim Chishti, Sufi saint of Fatehpur Sikri, Agra
Poet-saints and religious figures
- Akhaṇḍānanda Sarasvatī, scholar of Vedanta, Bhakti and Bhagavata Purana in 20th century, Varanasi
- Jagadguru Rāmabhadrācārya, Vaishnava scholar and Sanskrit commentator on the Prasthanatrayi, Jaunpur
- Rāmānanda, founder of the Rāmānandī sect, Prayag
- Sant Ravidas, poet and Saint, Varanasi
- Shiv Dayal Singh, Guru Maharaj of Radhasoamis, Agra
- Shriram Sharma Acharya, founder Gayatri Parivar, Mathura
- Surdas was a blind Hindu poet, sant and musician
- Svāmīnārāyaṇa, founder of the Swaminarayan sect, Gonda
- Svāmī Karapātrī, teacher of Advaita popularly known as Dharma Samrat, Gorakhpur
- Tulasīdāsa, composer of the Ramcharitmanas, Banda
- Malik Mohammad Jayasi
- Devraha Baba, Yogi Allahabad
- Rani Lakshmibai, the Rani (Queen) of Jhansi
- Mangal Pandey, one of the earliest independence fighters of 1857, subject of Bollywood film Ballia
- Rao Kadam Singh, the freedom fighter who was elected by his Gurjar clansmen as their leader to fight against the British forces during the Indian Rebellion of 1857.
- Begum Hazrat Mahal, widow of the last Nawab of Awadh and Indian independence fighter in Indian Rebellion of 1857.
- Maulvi Liaquat Ali, Indian independence fighter of 1857 from Allahabad, who captured the Khusro Bagh in Allahabad and declared the independence of India.
- Bakht Khan
- Raja Mahendra Pratap,King of Hathras Princely State,He was Thenua Jat.He was known as 'Aryan Peshwa',He was also nominated for Noble Peace prize in 1932
Later 19th, and 20th, centuries
- Chandra Shekhar Azad, Indian independence fighter, member of Hindustan Socialist Republican Association.
- Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi, independence fighter, journalist
- Ram Prasad Bismil, Indian independence fighter and socialist.
- Govind Ballabh Pant, Indian independence fighter and politician, became Chief Minister of the United Provinces. Also Bharat Ratna recipient.
- Munishwar Dutt Upadhyay of Pratapgarh, Indian Independence fighter and two time Member of Parliament.
- Ashfaqullah Khan of Kakori, Indian independence fighter, member of Hindustan Socialist Republican Association. He was close associate of Bhagat Singh and Chandrashekhar Azad.
- Rafi Ahmed Kidwai, Indian independence fighter and socialist.
- Acharya Narendra Dev, socialist
- Ram Manohar Lohia, socialist
- Hasrat Mohani, independence fighter and poet
- Asaf Ali, independence fighter
- Rajendra Lahiri, independence fighter
- Laxmi Raman Acharya, freedom fighter accused of the Agra Conspiracy case.
- Maulana Mohammad Ali, independence fighter
- Purushottam Das Tandon, independence fighter
- Sheetal Prashad Pal,Freedom Fighter from Bhadoi Benaras
- Maulana Shaukat Ali, independence fighter
- Mukhtar Ahmed Ansari, independence fighter Ghazipur
- Mahavir Tyagi, independence fighter
- Swami Sahajanand Saraswati Freedom Fighter
- Jokhai Pal,Freedom Fighter Allahabad
- Bhagwan Das, philosopher and Freedom FighterVaranasi
- Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, Allahabad
- Rajrishi Purushottam Das Tandon, Freedom Fighter, Allahabad
- Govind Ballabh Pant, Freedom Fighter
- Lal Bahadur Shastri, Freedom FighterVaranasi & Allahabad
- Indira Gandhi, Freedom Fighter, Allahabad
- Ravi Shankar, Sitar MaesroGhazipur
- Ustad Bismillah Khan, Shehnai MaestroVaranasi
- Rajiv Gandhi, Prime Minister of India, Allahabad
Dada Saheb Phalke Award
- Firaq Gorakhpuri, poet
- Mahadevi Verma, poet
- Qurratulain Hyder, writer
- Ali Sardar Jafri, writer and poet
- Amar Kant
- Sri Lal Sukla
Science and medicine
- Atul Kumar, inventor of anti-osteoporosis drug
- Rajendra K. Pachauri, chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- Harish-Chandra, (Mehrotra), mathematician who did fundamental work in representation theory, especially Harmonic analysis on semisimple Lie groups.
- Ravindra Khattree, statistician who worked in statistical inference, multivariate analysis, experimental designs, biostatistics and quality control.
- Zahoor Qasim, oceanographer, leader of first Indian Expedition to Antarctica
- Prof. Prem Chand Pandey, scientist, physicist, meteorologist, oceanographer
- P. K . Sethi, inventor of "Jaipur Foot"
- Kamla Kant Pandey, plant geneticist
- Lalji Singh, molecular biologist
Holders of high offices
- Jawaharlal Nehru, first Prime Minister of India and Bharat Ratna awardee.
- Lal Bahadur Shastri, third Prime Minister of India and Bharat Ratna awardee.
- Indira Gandhi, fourth Prime Minister of India and Bharat Ratna awardee.
- Choudhary Charan Singh, fifth Prime Minister of India
- Rajiv Gandhi, sixth prime minister of India and Bharat Ratna
- Vishwanath Pratap Singh, eighth Prime Minister of India
- Chandra Shekhar, ninth Prime Minister of India
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee. eleventh Prime Minister of India
- Mohammad Hidayatullah, former Chief Justice of India
- Mirza Hameedullah Beg, former Chief Justice of India
- Amit Bhardwaj,ormer Chief Justice of India
- Motilal Nehru, Indian National Congress leader
- Dr.Mukhtar Ahmed Ansari, former President of Indian National Congress
- Rai Rajeshwar Bali, education minister (1924–1928)
- Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya
- Jawaharlal Nehru
- Govind Ballabh Pant
- Swami Sahajanand Saraswati
- Munishwar Dutt Upadhyay
- Govind Ballabh Pant
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya
- Ram Manohar Lohia
- Choudhary Charan Singh
- Narayan Dutt Tiwari
- Laxmi Raman Acharya
- Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna
- Kamalapati Tripathi
- Indira Gandhi
- Feroze Gandhi
- Rafi Ahmed Kidwai
- Mohsina Kidwai
- Ram Naresh Yadav
- Sheila Kaul
- Raj Narain
- Mahendra Singh Tikait, Kisan leader
- Mulayam Singh Yadav,
- Rajeev Shukla, journalist and political leader
- Arif Mohammad Khan, political leader
- Chaudhary Ajit Singh, political leader
- Beni Prasad Verma, former minister and leader
- Shriprakash Jaiswal, Union Minister
- Akhilesh Das, Union Minister
- Vijay Bahadur Pal, Rajya Mantri
- Raj Babbar, Member of Parliament
- Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, Gandhian, first lady Minister of India
- Kamal Nath, politician
- Prakash Vir Shastri, Member of Parliament and advocate of the Arya Samaj movement
- Kailash Nath Katju, Former Union Home Minister and Lawyer
- Satyapal Singh Yadav former union minister
- Rajendra Kumari Bajpai (1925-1999), Former cabinet minister 
- Om Prakash Singh
- Kalpnath Rai
- Maharaj Sanjay Singh, King of Amethi
- Akhilesh Yadav
- Raja Bhaiya
- Vishnu Sarma, author of Panchtantra
- Swami Sahajanand Saraswati books on sociology, religion, freedom struggle, peasant movement, autobiography etc.
- Malik Muhammad Jayasi, author of Padmavat
- Mahapandit Rahul Sankrityayan, polyglot
- Munshi Prem Chand, novelist
- Vibhuti Narain Rai Hindi writer
- Amitabh Thakur Hindi writer
- Bharatendu Harishchandra, Hindi writer
- Amritlal Nagar, Hindi writer
- Acharya Chatursen (1891 – 1960), Hindi writer
- Bhagwati Charan Verma, Hindi writer
- Sachchidananda Hirananda Vatsyayan
- Jaishankar Prasad, Hindi writer
- Babu Gulabrai, Hindi writer
- Yashpal, Hindi writer
- Hazari Prasad Dwivedi, Hindi novelist
- Rajendra Yadav, Hindi novelist
- Baldev Upadhyaya, Hindi scholar and writer
- Vidya Niwas Mishra, Hindi scholar
- Rahi Masoom Raza, author of 'Topi Shukla' and 'Adha Gaon'
- Vinod Kumar Shukla, writer
- Shrilal Shukla, writer of 'Raag Darbari'
- Acharya Ram Chandra Shukla, Hindi writer and historian
- Sri Krishna Rai Hridyesh
- Viveki Rai
- Acharya Kuber Nath Rai
- Ibne Safi, novelist of Jasoosi Duniya
- Qurratulain Hyder, writer of Aag Ka Darya
- Ismat Chugtai, writer
- Mirza Hadi Ruswa, author of Umrao Jaan
- Firaq Gorakhpuri
- Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman, author of books on Unani medicine
- Nayantara Sahgal, novelist and writer
- Attia Hosain, English author and journalist
- Allan Sealy, Novelist and writer
- Vikas Swarup, Author of "Q&A"
- Mir Taqi Mir
- Mirza Ghalib, classical Urdu and Persian poet
- Mir Anis, Urdu Marsia poet
- Maulana Hali, Urdu poet, biographer of Ghalib's life, and a commentator of his poetry
- Firaq Gorakhpuri, Urdu poet, winner of Jnanpith award
- Kaifi Azmi, Urdu and Hindi lyricist, poet and songwriter
- Safi Lakhnavi, Urdu poet
- Majrooh Sultanpuri, poet and lyricist
- Josh Malihabadi, Urdu poet
- Firaq Gorakhpuri, Urdu poet
- Jigar Moradabadi, Urdu poet
- Ali Sardar Jafri, Urdu poet
- Khumar Barabankvi, Urdu poet
- Daya Shankar Kaul Nasim, Urdu poet
- Brij Narayan Chakbast, Urdu poet
- Akbar Allahabadi, poet
- Majaz, Urdu poet
- Rahul Aggarwal, Urdu poet
- Kedarnath Singh, major works are "baagh", "toota truck", tolstoy aur cycle", etc.
- Jaishankar Prasad, one of four major pillars of the Chhayavaadi School of Hindi.
- Harivansh Rai Bachchan, writer and poet.
- Mahadevi Varma, a major poet of the Chhayavaadi generation, a period of romanticism in Modern Hindi poetry. She won the Jnanpith award in 1982.
- Sumitranandan Pant, one of four major pillars of the Chhayavaadi School of Hindi.
- Maithilisharan Gupt, modern Hindi poet
- Gopal Das Neeraj, Hindi poet
- Kaka Hathrasi, humorous Poet
- Shivmangal Singh Suman
- Suryakant Tripathi 'Nirala'
- Subhadra Kumari Chauhan
- Guru Bhakt Singh 'Bhakt'
Founders of educational institutions
- Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya, founder of Benaras Hindu University.
- Jagdish Gandhi, founder of the City Montessori School.
Music and dance
- Ustad Bismillah Khan, Shehnai maestro, awarded the Bharat Ratna, (2001)
- Pandit Ravi Shankar, classical Sitar player, awarded the Bharat Ratna in 1999. He has also won three Grammy awards
- Begum Akhtar, Ghazal singer
- Naushad, music director, was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for his contributions to Indian cinema.
- Sir Cliff Richard, the English singer
- Kishan Maharaj, Tabla Maestro
- Hari Prasad Chaurasia, bansuri player
- Dr.Lalmani Misra was an Indian classical musician. Dean & Head, Faculty of Music and Fine Arts, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi and his son
- Dr. Gopal Shankar Misra, Vichitra Veena player
- Pandit Vishnu Narayan Bhatkhande, musician
- Girija Devi, is an Indian singer and represents the Banaras Gharana of singers
- Shubha Mudgal, singer
- Talat Mahmood, ghazal singer
- Anup Jalota, Ghazal and Bhajan singer
- Siddheshwari Devi, Hindustani singer from Benares, known as Maa (mother).
- Kailash Kher from Meerut
- Birju Maharaj, Kathak exponent
- Lachhu Maharaj, Kathak exponent
- Kapila Vatsyayan, scholar of Indian classical dance
- Sitara Devi
- Uday Shankar
Cinema & theatre
Actors & actresses
- Amitabh Bachchan, Bollywood actor awarded the Padma Bhushan in 2001.
- Naseeruddin Shah, actor (He was born in barabanki district of Lucknow division U.P)
- Marc Zuber, actor
- Raj Babbar, actor and Member of Parliament
- Jaddanbai, actor
- Nargis, was an actress best known for her role in the Oscar-nominated film Mother India
- Nimmi, film actress in the 1950s
- Lara Dutta, actress, UNFPA Goodwill Ambassador and the 2000 Miss Universe
- K.N. Singh, actor
- Tuntun, comedy actress
- Sushant Singh, actor
- Ravi Kishan, Bhojpuri film actor
- Udita Goswami, Bollywood actress
- Zohra Sehgal, Bollywood actress
- Saurabh Shukla, Bollywood actor
- Sonal Chauhan, Bollywood actress
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui, actor, (Gangs of Wasseypur)
- Abhishek Bachchan
- Rajpal Yadav
- Pooja Batra
- Vedita Pratap Singh, model & actress
- Surinder Pal, actor
- Chitrangada Singh, actress
- K. Asif, film director, film producer and screenwriter who worked on the Hindi epic motion picture, Mughal-e-Azam
- Shaad Ali, film director
- Kamal Amrohi, director
- Prakash Mehra, director
- Prasoon Pandey, director
- Vishal Bharadwaj, Omkara director
- Anurag Kashyap, director
- Abhinav Kashyap, director
- Talat Mahmood
- Rajkumari Dubey
- Begum Akhtar
- Hemanta Kumar Mukhopadhyay
- Abhijeet Bhattacharya (Singer)
- Kabban Mirza
- Anup Jalota
- Baba Sehgal
- Sunidhi Chauhan
- Shakeel Badayuni
- Shakeel Badayuni
- Majrooh Sultanpuri
- Khumar Barabankvi
- Kaifi Azmi
- Ali Sardar Jafri
And other great persons in different fields.
Om Tat Sat
(My humble salutations to the great devotees , wikisources and Pilgrimage tourist guide for the collection )