Holy Pilgrimage – Temples in Uttara Pradesh State
JK Temple, Kanpur
The JK Temple is a temple in the Indian city of Kanpur. Considered to be a unique blend of ancient and modern architecture, its mandapas have been constructed with high roof for adequate ventilation of light and air. The J. K. Trust has constructed this temple.
LocationLocated in commercial and industrial city of Kanpur, it has many great significance. The Kanpur Airport located about 15 km from temple's campus center, Kanpur Anwarganj Railway Station which is 5 km from temple has trains to Lucknow, Allahabad, Delhi and Kolkata.
ShrinesThe temple has five shrines dedicated to the
1. Lord Radha and krishna
2. Lord Lakshmi and narayan
3. Lord Ardhanarishwar
4. Lord Narmadeshwar
5. Lord Hanuman
ImportanceBeautifully constructed, J.K. temple is a boon to the devotees. Built by J.K. Trust this architectural delight is a unique blend of ancient architecture with the modern. The even-level roofs o the mandaps have been provided with adequate ventilation for sufficient light and air. Among the five shrines that the temple has the central one s consecrated to Shri Radhakrishna and the other are adorned with idols of Shri Laxminarayan, Shri. Ardhanarishwar, Shri Narmadeshwar and Shri Hanuman.There is park and beautiful lake near the temple which looks beautifully in Night when lights are on.
HistoryBuilt on 20 May 1960 and is celebrating its 50 years on 20 May 2010. It was made by the Sighania family.
EntranceAs the JK Temple is a very preserved modern architectural building, no fees is taken for entry and checking is done through Metal Detactor
Bhitargaon Temple, KanpurBhitargaon is a town in Kanpur district, Uttar Pradesh, India, known for its ancient Hindu temple.
Bhitargaon TempleThe Bhitargaon Temple is a terraced brick building fronted with a terracotta panel. Built in the 6th century during the Gupta Empire, it is the oldest remaining Hindu shrine with a roof and a high Sikhara, though its upper chamber did sustain some damage in the 18th century.
The construction material is bricks and terracotta. The brick size is 18"*9"*3" and the other salient features are following:
- The size of platform on which the temple is built is 36 feet*47 feet.
- The santum is 15 feet * 15 feet internally.
- The santum is double story.
- The wall thickness is 8 feet.
- The total height from ground to top is 68.25 feet.
- There is no window.
- The terracotta sculpture depicts both secular and religious theme such as deities like ganesha adi virah mahisasaurmardani and river goddess. Myths and stories representing abduction of sita and the penance of nara and naryan.
- Shikara is a stepped pyramid and got damaged by thunder in 1894.
- The first story of sanctum felled in 1850.
- Vaulted arch is used here for the first time any where in India.
Allen Forest Zoo, KanpurAllen Forest Zoo (Hindi: कानपुर चिड़ियाघर / कानपुर प्राणी उद्यान, also called the Kanpur Zoo) is a 77-hectare (190-acre) zoo in Kanpur, the industrial hub of Uttar Pradesh in North India. It is the largest open green space in Kanpur. Originally a natural habitat for fauna, it is one of the few zoos in India which were created in a natural forest.
The Allen Forest Zoo is located about two kilometers from the city’s center. In earlier colonial records it is mentioned as being close to Nawabganj, some distance away from Bithoor. Currently, the zoo is nearby the Azad nagar locality of Kanpur. The zoo is an oasis of green, a natural lake, and ancient trees, and encompasses the largest land area of any zoological garden in Asia. The zoo is open for visitors on all days from 9 to 4.30, barring Monday. Given the vast spread, private four-wheeler vehicles are also allowed inside the zoo on payment of extra charges. Plastic bags are strictly banned inside zoo, even water is provided via coolers and not bottles.
HistoryThe Zoological Park in Kanpur, (Cawnpore, Manchester of Asia, in British colonial period) was the brainchild of one Botanist Sir Allen, a member of the British Indian Civil Service. Sir Allen wanted to open the zoo in a natural forest, but his plans were stuck in bureaucratic red-tape and did not materialize. When the zoo was opened in 1971 by the government of independent India, it was named after him.
Allen forest was developed during the British rule between the years 1913-1918 by Mr. George Burney Allen, a famous British industrialist of Kanpur on the banks of the river Ganga. The construction of the zoo was carried between 1971 to 1973.The 1st animal that came to the zoo was an Otter, which was caught by fisherman from the river Chambal. The enclosures for animals and birds were designed on the latest trends in the field of zoo building technology, well spread along the lake on either side of a semicircular arterial road of about 9 km. length.
Mammals at the zoo include White Asian tigers, Asiatic lions, cheetah, leopard, jaguar, hyena, black bear, grizzly bear, sloth bear, rhinoceros, hippopotamus, monkeys, langoor, baboons, Musk deer, deer, and antelope. Chimpanzees (one of them named Chhajju, around 26 years of age) and orangutans (named Mangal, aged ver 30 years) have their own island. Some monkeys and deer are allowed to roam outside the enclosures as natural inhabitants of the zoo.
Amphibians at the zoo include Indian gharial.
The Lion at the zoo died of an unknown disease during the month of November 2010. Talks are on to bring a new Lion from another zoo in exchange of an animal.
Recently , a new tigress has been brought in the zoo.
Botanical gardenThe zoo houses a botanical garden with a collection of some of the country’s rare species of plants that is dotted with sylvan lakes. The zoo grounds are also professionally maintained by forest conservationists, and it records large attendance from all age groups and communities in Kanpur. It is a popular destination for picnics, nature walks, and outdoor recreation, as well as teaching school students about natural habitats, environmental issues, and responsible eco-friendly living.
LakeA rainwater lake is the centre of attraction at Allen Forest, and visitors can see hundreds of deer grazing in open savannah-like land without fear of any predator.
Night houseNight creatures are housed in a separate building. These include porcupines, toddy cat and others.
AquariumThe zoo includes an aquarium.
Life Size Dinosaur SculpturesThere are life size sculptures of pre-historic dinosaurs.
ConservationThe zoo included a veterinary hospital that treats up to 1,400 animals at a time, including hyenas, jaguars, and elephants that are brought into the zoo, usually after bad encounters with humans.
Vehicles are allowed inside the zoo, but there is extra charge for this. Plastic water bottles and polythene bags are banned inside the park. Although photography is permitted, the zoo discourages visitors from feeding animals except in designated areas.
SponsorsThe zoo authorities encourage local Kanpur and Uttar Pradesh based industrialists to take interest in the development and preservation of the ecological heritage of the Kanpur Zoo and its potential for development as a rare natural habitat based zoo.
Bithoor Religeous Place, Kanpur
ithoor or Bithur is a small town in Kanpur District, 23.4 kilometres (14.5 mi) by road north of the centre of Kanpur city, in Uttar Pradesh, India. Bithoor is situated on the left bank of the Ganges, and is the centre of Hindu pilgrimage. According to Hindu Myth Bithur is the birthplace of Ram's sons Luv and Kush.
HistoryBithoor has been closely associated with the Indian independence movement, especially the Indian Rebellion of 1857. It was at one time home to many of the rebellion's most prominent characters including the Rani of Jhansi, Lakshmi Bai. During the British Raj, Bithur used to be part of Cawnpore district (now Kanpur) in the United Provinces. The last of the Peshwas, Baji Rao II, was banished to Bithur; his adopted son, Nana Sahib, made the town his headquarters. Bithur was captured by General Havelock on July 19, 1857. The town was laid waste by the British who razed Nana Sahib's palace and the temples in the town in retaliation for the brutal killing of over 500 British men, women and children who had been lured out of their defences at Cawnpore with a promise of truce during the Siege of Cawnpore
Valmiki AshramSome of the most significant moments of Hindu religion and mythology are said to be created here, as being the place of the forest-rendezvous of Sita after Lord Rama left her, the birthplace of Lav and Kush, the site where the Ramayana was written.
Brahmavart GhatThis is the holiest of the holy ghats of Bithoor, where the disciples of Lord Brahma pray at the altar of the 'Wooden Slippers' after a ritual bath.
Patthar GhatThe redstone ghat whose foundation stone was laid by the minister of Avadh, Tikait Rai, is a symbol of incomparable art and architecture. There is a massive Shiv temple where the Shivling is made of 'Kasaauti' stone.
Dhruva TeelaThis is the fabled spot where the child Dhruv meditated single-mindedly on one leg. God was so pleased that he not only appeared but granted him a divine boon—to shine for all time to come as a star.
Apart from these, there are some other landmarks as well, such as the Ram Janki temple, Lav-Kush temple, Haridham Ashram, Jahangir Mosque and Nana Saheb Smarak.
Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary is a bird sanctuary on the Kanpur-Lucknow road in Uttar Pradesh, India consisting of a lake and the surrounding environs. The sanctuary provides protection for 250 species of migratory birds mostly from CIS (or formerly USSR) countries, but the numbers have been dwindling since the 1990s, most having relocated to newer areas in Himachal and Rajasthan. The sanctuary also houses a deer garden
AviansThe avian population here comprises a mix of residents as well as migratory birds. The birds migrate across Himalayas from Tibet, China, Europe and Siberia during winters. Some of these birds fly over 5000 km and above 8500 meters high to reach here. Some of the major migratory birds during the season are Greylag goose, pintail, cotton teal, red-crested pochard, Gadwall, shoveler, coot and mallard. Some major local migratory and residential birds are spotwill, Sarus crane, painted stork, peacock, white ibis, dabchick, whistling teal, open-bill stork, white-necked stork, pheasant-tailed jacana, bronze winged jacana, purple moorhen, lapwing, tern vulture, pigeon, king crow, Indian roller and bee eater.
Deer ParkA small park for deer has been established in the vicinity of the sanctuary. There are spotted and barking deers in the park. It is one of the main attractions in the sanctuary.
The major reptiles found in the sanctuary.
Satti Chaura Ghat, Kanpur
Satti Chaura Ghat or Massacre Ghat (Hindi: सती चौरा घाट / मसकर घाट, कानपुर ) is a famous ghat(riverbank steps) in Kanpur city, the industrial hub of Uttar Pradesh in North India. It is located on the bank of River Ganges in Kanpur near Jajmau.
ImportanceRiver Ghats have been a traditional part of Indian religious life. They have served religious and community gathering purposes. When located on holy rivers like River Ganges, they often have attached temples dedicated to deities of the Hindu pantheon.
Sati Chaura Ghat has been an important maritime boarding point for the river route from Kanpur to Allahabad from pre colonial period. In recent years, after the acquisition of the surrounding areas by Cantonment Board and private industrialists, it has receded in its traditional historical importance as the center of urban life in the old city of Kanpur.
HistoryDuring the beginning of the colonial annexation of Awadh, the ghat had earlier been nicknamed as Massacre Ghat, by the East India Company officials after the historical events of the 1857 Indian Mutiny at Cawnpore.
It was at this location that the initial momentous events of Indian Rebellion of 1857, named as Siege of Cawnpore in British colonial records, took place
LocationThe ghat is located on the southern bank of River Ganges and marks the northern boundary of Kanpur city.
EstablishmentThe origins of the ghat date to pre-colonial times.
A Hindu temple built in 1966.
It attracts a lot of visitors from Kanpur city during the monsoon months when the River Ganges threatens to breach the banks.
There is a sand pit / dangal (अखाड़ा) for kushti of local wrestlers. An annual wrestling competition is held during the months of July/August.
It is a favorite haunt of a large population of Indian rhesus monkeys
And other Temples in Kanpur City
ISCKON Temple, azad nagar
Om Tat Sat
(My humble salutations to the great devotees , wikisources and Pilgrimage tourist guide for the collection )